Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Snake's-head Fritillary


I love these flowers, the Snake's head fritillary, Fritillaria meleagris to give the correct plant name. When I was young I had seen them in the famous Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) drawing and thought how beautiful they were with their chequered markings.
It was only about five years ago that I saw the real thing. I was amazed at their beauty, their elegant shapes and the patterns just fascinated me. They have such a delicate stem and the bell shaped flower hangs so elegantly. I love their pink-purple colour with the chequered markings. Well I just love everything about them.
I searched out the bulbs and planted hundreds of them over the past five years. It paid off and now I have just enjoyed watching them flower in the long grass at the bottom of my garden. As it rained all day they are just about finished, so I am rushing to get some sketches before they are gone. I am posting this one I did last week. I was using the black ink pen, that is probably why I used it for the virtual sketch date drawing.
I have managed to do four studies, so here is my favourite up to now. Then I will try them in colour. Press picture to see it larger.

5 comments:

acornmoon said...

I love these flowers too, it is frustrating to have them in flower and not to have the time to paint them, you have done well to capture the real thing. I planted some bulbs about four years ago and now they have spread all over the place.

Someone once looked at a drawing that I did of this plant and said, "I like your tulip but why is it upside down?"

Ann said...

This is lovely. I have never seen these flowers but they do look enchanting.

bubblemunch said...

This is beautiful Milly.
Very elegant.
It's very pleasing to see it in black and white.
I have the CRM catalogue of prints of his botanical illustrations and this is one of my favourites.

Michelle Palmer said...

Amazing...
Your work is absolutely wonderful! LOVE ever sweet detail~
Hope your weekend is perfect!
Michelle

ellie said...

An enchanting study, really lovely, I can see the C R M influence....ohhh you are so clever !!! Happy Spring, Ellie