Friday 18 December 2009

Fragile Oak and Fern


It is really cold and frosty. I went for a walk and under the giant oak tree I saw all the oak leaves pale and flattened, thin and fragile in shades of creamy yellow ochre. Some of them so thin and fragile they remind me of tissue paper. The fern is the colour of raw umber, stands alone in the empty banks of the hedgerow.
This year I only found a single acorn under this giant tree. I was puzzled as I always find them here each year. Maybe when I went searching I was too late, Or, as my husband suggested, Did the squirrels collect them all early because they knew it was going to be a cold winter. I don't have the answer, but it is certainly very, very cold and the snow is here.
Anyway this little drawing was done from specimens I collected last year. The many different interesting shaped acorns, their little cups, some oak leaves and a little fragile piece of Fern.
I have used my Derwent coloured pencils, colour soft or artist. The colours remind me of this time of year and a walk on a frosty day.

10 comments:

Ann said...

This is so beautifully done. I love the way you composed the items on the page.

We didn't have many acorns here either this year. It is a puzzle. It has certainly been very cold and more snow than usual.

Frances said...

Milly, your post has a wonderful drawing (as always) and poses an interesting question about acorn quantities this year. I think that I will have to make a special walk over to Central Park and see what I can see on the ground. However, that walk will have to wait a bit, because we have snow in the forecast for tomorrow! Perhaps up to 8 inches!..

xo

Carolina said...

Milly,
I love how you have included every single detail in every leave/acorn (the central nerves of the leaves, for example). And that fragile and crispy fern leave is a great complement. Ann has noticed it too, it's not only your drawings, but your compositions that make your art so delightful...
Best regards,
Carolina

Eugen Caitaz said...

Very beautiful and sooooo intersting! ;)

Carolina said...

Milly!
I stopped by once again, this time to send you my best wishes for you and your family on this holidays. I wish you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year, full of joy, love and friendship :)
Best regards,
Carolina

Jesse said...

Wonderful drawings! I'm thoroughly inspired to spend some time drawing now - thank you!

Acornmoon said...

Your acorn drawings are the best!

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Ruthie Redden said...

i do love autumsy colours. Wishing you wonderful christmas x

Pomona said...

Have a very happy Christmas!

Pomona x

Lucille said...

Thank you. I managed to miss the broadcast of Nine Lessons and Carols! Have a very happy day.