Monday 23 March 2009

Fir cones


I collected some fir cones when I was out for a walk the other day. I like them as a drawing subject. They have fascinating patterns and shapes. I like the challenge of capturing all the detail and have to really concentrate to record them accurately.
If it is warm they will open up and then make it difficult to finish the drawing as all the shapes and patterns will have changed. So I try to finish them in one go or at least sketch out all the details before this has chance to happen.
This pair of cones is a favourite drawing which I did a while ago. It is done using a HB pencil. Press for larger picture.

7 comments:

Margaret Ann said...

I have always had a soft spot for pine cones...I love their shapes and textures...these are very well done! :)

Carol Creech said...

These are lovely! And I know how difficult they can be. I have a few open ones from my backyard sitting on a shelf...I have yet to tackle them! Each time I start, I realize how hard they are! :)

Acornmoon said...

Drawing pine cones is a real test of observation, you have obviously risen to the challenge and have understood the structure perfectly.

Michelle Palmer said...

Wonderful! It is a race against time when they're closed...no lunch break 'til they're completed! :)
Beautiful piece...
Michelle

Ann said...

These are beautiful. I love the almost abstract quality of the patterns of their texture.

ellie said...

How lovely, I think the patterns that you have found and captured are so beautiful, well done !

Ruthie Redden said...

such beautiful form & texture. there is something about pinecones that whenever i come across them whilst out walking i cant resist collecting a few!