Thursday 7 June 2012

A Celebration.

The Jubilee celebrations are now over.  In our village we had a Gala day on Monday and it was a glorious sunny day, we were so lucky as we are having lots of rain today.   I was invited to display some of my drawings as part of an exhibition of art by people who live in the village.  It was a lovely display representing children from the village school, an art group and anyone of any age who enjoys painting or drawing.  I decided to put lots of little drawings together on a large sheet to show lots of different subjects which I draw.
I added some pencil work, some using black ink  and several pieces of coloured work in crayon and paint.   It was a sample of the kind of  natural objects that I always choose to draw, things I find when I go for a walk around the village or on the shore.  There was also a glass covered display of my work showing the real items next to some of the drawings, such as shells, feathers and seeds.  It was interesting for me to see lots of my old work as I went through it  deciding which drawings to include.  I do draw the same things each year but they all look  different.  I had a spell of using mostly coloured pencils as in the feathers, then I painted with acrylic paints and now I seem to use acrylic inks.  My love of pencil drawings and black ink is also represented.  Well it is all very much  me, with feathers, red berries, shells, a moth, oak leaf and sycamore seeds...all  the things I  love to draw.  And also it shows how I like to use tags to draw on.

I hope you enjoy looking at the drawings too. The Gala was a great success, a bonfire and fireworks ended a lovely day.  I particularly was wowed by the fantastic Cake stall and chose four different cakes!  Hope you all enjoyed your celebrations and had a great weekend too what ever you were doing.
I have also been to see the new film " Snow White and the Huntsman",  which I really enjoyed from start to finish.  Some of the scenery was filmed in the Lake District and at one of the tarns,  it is a great film.
Thank you for the lovely comments.                                                              Millyx


14 comments:

Mary said...

Eileen, how lovely people are able to view and enjoy your work.................I'm glad you were able to display so many beautiful pieces for the Jubilee celebration.

Hectic here as we are off in the morning, very early flight to New York then the long, long haul to South Africa!

May not be able to comment or post for a while depending on whether there's Internet......or I'm just busy doing wild and fun things among the wildlife, ha! ha!

Take care and enjoy these lovely days.
Hugs Mary (and Bob)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

All of your drawings are looking wonderful Milly - well done! Lesley x

Susan Scheid said...

What a wonderful profusion of drawings! I do cherish the tags of yours that I have, along with the beautiful cards (though some of them have been shared around as gifts, so all can enjoy).

Sarah Melling said...

What a fabulous display...you did a beautiful job. And I'll bet that you received many compliments on your lovely work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Milly, What a great selection of your work. I especially like the leaves and feathers, all so delicate. Last weekend was special, so many people enjoyed it! Glad you had a good time.

Pondside said...

I'll bet your display was much admired!
Four cakes.....I'd have been right there alongside you!

Lynn said...

Lovely to see more of your beautiful drawings.
I'm looking forward to seeing that film - glad to hear you recommend it! I didn't realize that it was filmed in the Lake District - now I'm looking forward to it all the more.

Frances said...

Milly, your Jubilee gala sounds like a lovely community occasion, made more beautiful by the weather and having your art work (in the natural inspirations) on display.

I imagine that some children might have seen your work and perhaps thought of beginning their own nature observations. Hope so!

Four cakes...now that is a real celebration. xo

Debbie Nolan said...

Milly as always your drawings are so truly lovely. What an inspiration you are to me to keep on sketching. I like the gathering of things when you walk-since I walk everyday I need to look for certain items to draw as well. Have a wonderful weekend - God Bless.

JP said...

love seeing all your drawings together like that

Raggle Taggle Gypsy Girl said...

These are wonderful as per usual....I am sure they would have made a wonderful display.....Glad you enjoyed the Jubilee celebrations.......

ellie said...

What a beautiful display for people to enjoy :) Sounds like you all enjoyed the celebrations xx

Kim Henkel Creations said...

It has been a while since I have been here to take a look, and I had such a lovely visit! How wonderful to get to display your beautiful work, and the Jubilee celebration sounded wonderful. I wish I could see your work in person, but am thrilled to see it here. It is all wonderful, but butterflies always capture my heart, and yours are beautiful.

gartenmalereien said...

So Beautiful and well done. I whishes i cut paint like this.

Greetings from Switzerland
Stephanie