Saturday 5 February 2011

week 5




I am glad you like the feathers, thank you to the people who left me a comment. I do really appreciate reading them. This page for week 5 was a real pleasure for me, I couldn't wait to get started and I loved doing it. I wanted to put in the long dark bubbly seaweed and it was the first piece to go on the page, as with all the objects it is life size, so I twisted it across the double pages. Then I chose the other objects, shells, sea weeds and the feather. Above you can see the work in progress and how I added the sketched seaweed, at the left side. Then I wanted to put the mermaids purse in the centre, placed on a little piece of paper to see if it looks right. I like to place the real objects on my paper and move them around until it feels right. This has come from my experience of adding something in a drawing and then wishing I had left it as it was.
I was going to put more shells in but time ran out, Saturday came around again, so I am calling it done. The shells were hard because I wanted to get the details and this paper did not help nor did my tired eyes. I know my shells would be better in pencil but I wanted to show colours and painting with the fine brush was very time consuming.
It has taken me many hours to complete this but I think it was worth it.
I am really happy with this page, it is how I wanted it to be, like a tangled arrangement ....to me it just feels like how you find the objects on the shore, as the sea has left them. The colours are rich and the more I find these objects the more I am enjoying this project. There are lovely decorative qualities in the shapes of the seaweeds, such rich colours and somehow they just cry out to be painted.
Today I have been collecting again, a huge bag full of treasures but I will tell you about it next week with the drawing.
Hope you like them, I would love to know what you think.
millyx
Please do not use my pictures without asking my permission, thank you.



18 comments:

martinealison said...

Tout comme la mer vous nous étonnez par la richesse de vos dessins...
Très belle harmonie ...
Bisous

Pondside said...

I love it.
It looks as though the tide had come and gone, leaving a beautiful arrangement on the page.

Cathy Holtom said...

Beautiful composition, well worth the time you spent on it!

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my goodness! These are wonderful...they fill my eyes. What a gifted artist you are!

Posie said...

Another lovely picture Milly, I do love the flow of the seaweed, and the colours in the shells. What a good idea to play around with the objects on the page first, I would never have thought of that.

wandering said...

It *is* a lovely arrangement - it really feels like one single picture - with lots of lovely things to muse over..

Jannette

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

Really beautiful... I love all of it, the objects you've chosen, the arrangement and of course the beautifully delicate painting. I loved your feathers last week too but don't think I got around to commenting.
I am really enjoying your seashore series and it really looks like you are too, it shows in the paintings!
Carrie... :)

Ann said...

These pages are so elegant. So beautiful! They make me long for the beach.

Susan Scheid (Raining Acorns) said...

I love how the seaweed seems to dance on the page. Beautiful arrangement of a lively colorful catch!

Dan said...

The seaweed looks like a delicate necklace. Again, I really enjoyed seeing how you bring together your paintings and the ideas behind them, and also your hopes for the final picture. It's lovely Milly!!
Dan
-x-

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely colours and shapes here Milly, such variety too. Have a good week, Lesley x

Acornmoon said...

This would make a great textile design, I can see it on silk.

suz said...

I love how the seaweed crosses the pages. The mermaid's pouch fascinates me. I've never heard them referred to that way and I'll be more aware of them when I head to the ocean. I also love the shells on this page.

Cristina Dalla Valentina said...

These pages are absolutely fantastic!

Lucille said...

I like the way the seaweed leads the eye across the page.

Melody said...

I love the colors in this one, and the way the seaweed wanders across the page ~ Beautiful work you do! :)

Carol Creech said...

Great page! So colorful an intertwined. Such a pleasure to view!
Carol

Tammie Lee said...

absolutely beautiful!