Saturday 4 April 2020

April 2020

                                     


It is a very strange time we are all living through. it is hard to write about so Let me  write my post and hope that everyone reading this finds a little bit of pleasure from what I write and show you from my little place in this world. 
Nature is and always has been a big part of my life. so  I will share some beautiful nature that is making me happy and occupied during this time.
My garden started to show lots of signs that Spring is finally arriving.  daffodils and the amazing Snakehead Fritillary flowers.  Those of you who  know my blog will already know how much I love these flowers and how I add more each year at the bottom of my garden.

each day I wander down to see them, spent time looking at them and usually pick a few favourites to bring into the house to draw. I have used my own homemade Blackberry ink and a fine nib in a dip in pen. It keeps my mind focused and it is a slow time carefully drawing as I concentrate on the flowers and the  patterns slowly appear.






My eyes are not as good as when I was younger but Starting to draw I guess I can also use my memory  of past drawings and my style of drawing appears to replicate the flowers.

And something lovely appears on the blank page. can you see how very beautiful these flowers are,  so delicate and  elegant. They really are a  special sight as they appear now year after year and even more special because I planted each tiny white bulb.




The birds are singing each morning,  hopping around the garden all day long.  We were talking about how they seem so safe here, they know we feed them and I even left a pile or two of nesting materials for them when I did some gardening and collected dry stems.  How delighted we were to spot the blackbird going into the privet hedge,  the same place she made a nest last year. Quietly I had  a gentle peep and there it was.
A beautiful new nest with two blue eggs. it melts your heart.



And  then my husband watched a Robin flying out of the ivy. Guess what,  another nest.  We have been respectful, kept away at a safe distance from both nests but will be delighted to see the young birds  later on in the year hopefully  hopping around in the garden from both of the nests. 


It makes my heart sing  to know they chose my garden  to build in and that I am doing something right living along side nature and caring for it. I hope they are the same family returning.



8 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love your snakesheads, they are spectacular and you have captured them so well with blackberry ink! I love that - your own special ink :) yes your post has certainly cheered me, thank you.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you. Your blog is always a pleasure to read. You live in a beautiful place.

feathers said...

Glad to hear that you are finding beauty around your home this spring. Times now are challenging everywhere, and it is restoring to get out into nature, walking and breathing. Most of our birds are back now, and the snow is gone,but we are still having cooler temps here in Michigan, with gentle teases of 50-60 F. from time to time.A few of my garden flowers have been brave enough to begin to bloom this past week or so. It's so good to hear from you again.Anita.

MILLY said...

Hello Anita, So good to hear from you too. Thank you for your message and news. I have no way to contact, lost my emails, pleased to hear you are experimenting with inks too and dyes.
Spring is a great distraction. hope you and your family are well. take care. eileeenx

Mary said...

Hi dear friend Eileen - whom I'm so pleased to find here after a rather lengthy stretch!

Love your photos of the flowers, landscapes and birds nests. Our birds are very busy too - a mama finch has been on a nest so long on our front porch - in a hanging fern - goodness knows what's going on with her three eggs, just hope they hatch soon!

Such a time for the world right now, but everything beautiful that Nature is sharing with us is certainly a reason to keep a stiff upper lip, think positive thoughts for the future, and sit back to quietly take in all the loveliness around us without having to rush off into the crazy busy world we were used to!

I tied one of your pretty feather tags onto a Birthday gift bag back in March but haven't been able to deliver it to my friend yet! Bob and I are locked down here week after week, other than a grocery run once a week wearing masks and gloves! Its been almost 90F several days - masks are really hot when gardening!

It's a strange Easter Sunday today - so quiet with no family or friends around. I've just made green pistachio muffins for us and the close by neighbors - will put them on their steps later - and that's about it for Easter baking this year!

Hope you all are well - stay safe, and do come back here again soon please.
Hugs Mary & Bob

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Milly - I did enjoy each of your photos and your lovely art...I think it is just awesome that not only do you draw so beautifully but you make your own blackberry ink. Like you I so enjoy the birds and we have been seeing such a lively bunch of them busily building nests and I am sure preparing for new ones to be hatched.

The daffodils are blooming here and some tulips are beginning to show buds...we had several warm days that made the flowers start to pop but now we have went back to freezing temps...hoping those spring blooms are touch enough to withstand the change in weather. :)!!

Seeing the baby lambs reminds me of the little ones I had as pets when I was just a wee one. God Bless you for such a wonderful post. Take care and have a lovely day. Hugs!

Sandi said...

Oh, I can't see the photos! But I bet they are beautiful.

This happened to me on another blog. It's probably me.

I can see the photos on your previous post though...

feathers said...

Missing you, hope you and yours are well, and enjoying the gifts of nature this unusual summertime. Love from Anita in Michigan, across the big pond.