Tuesday 22 September 2015

Walking

Today I went walking. A slow walk as I noticed all that was around me. The sky was so blue and white fluffy clouds floated by while the hills were topped with a thick layer of clouds like whipped cream. I love this time of the year as the red berries hang from tiny threads and seem to dance along the length of the branches. I couldn't resist, I picked a few.

The hen come wandering over as she thinks I have come to feed her and looks up at me. Perhaps she remembers all that bread I threw over the wall the other day. I smile as I think of the ducks and hens running this way and that way racing to be first to gobble it down the moment each piece of bread hit the ground.

I kneel to capture the cow parsley seed heads against the sky. The sheep are all busy eating the grass and just ignore me.

 

 

I spy the farm in the distance which is along my way, I am on a mission to find more reds today.

There are lovely leaves.

 

I really like this one.

Rose hips catch my eye hanging over the stone wall from someone's garden.

Still more red berries but not the ones I am looking for.

After a long walk I arrive by the edge of the wood and this what I came for, it is the place where the lords and ladies are growing. Since I was last here they have all fallen so I feel it is okay to collect some. They are going into my book recording this stage of the life cycle. I have been tracking the story for months in my drawings and it is getting near to the end. The red berries are formed. Sadly the stalks are collapsing and the berries are falling off and this story is almost at its end.

I just finished this one so needed some new subjects.

I have so enjoyed this project, watching them form, change shapes and colours and I have learnt so much a more about this plant.

These two were recorded recently.

 

My tiger moth sits on the table, completed in between the red berry paintings. I captured my lovely Moth on a watercolour postcard size paper using my inks and a fine paintbrush and dip in pen.

 

 

As I have been Slowly working away, autumn has also been slowly creeping in. With such Cooler evenings we have been lighting a fire to take away the chill. The mornings bring the fog as it too creeps across the hills and over the estuary. One morning I was lucky enough to witness this scene.

 

Each sunset brings such beautiful colours to admire.

I am walking each day and I feel like I am surrounded by treasures, As every moment I see such beautiful things and realise how lucky I am to live here. I hope you enjoyed seeing some of the things that inspired me today. As I wander through this countryside I always feel so calm and contented.

 

Wishing you all some quiet peaceful time. See you soon Millyx

 

 

 

12 comments:

MILLY said...

Please can I say Thank you for leaving such lovely comments on the last blog. I apologise for taking so long to post them. They are very much appreciated,
Millyx

Feathers said...

It's wonderful to find you writing again to share finds from your walks. Your drawings are always inspiring--that moth is simply amazing, though the Lords & Ladies are such a treat also. We are all so blessed to be surrounded by such beauty in nature. Ah, so you're enjoying a fire in the mornings to warm the chill--we in Michigan have had several chilly spells, but nothing requiring a fire as of yet, but too soon, the snow will be flying. Suddenly, the leaves on our trees have begun to turn color, but the Virginia Creeper in our yard is just beginning to turn, not nearly as red as the one you shared. Virtual hugs from across the pond-Anita.

Mary said...

You always make a walk in the countryside so relaxing for me. You stroll along and see so many things Nature is sharing which some of us might miss. I still feel that the English countryside is definitely one of the loveliest in the entire world Eileen - and I'm always anxious to come back home with more free time to walk as you do - I need to plan a trip like that!
Meanwhile - will fly into Heathrow Friday then quickly on to Paris. Lots of France awaiting, from Normandy to the Med., and a little of Spain. I'm excited and hope to see some lovely places along the way - as well as friends and family.

Enjoy your Autumn walks dear - your art is so exquisite, your photos just beautiful showing us the views around your home.
Bob and I send best wishes.
Hugs - Mary

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère Milly,

Je me réjouis de lire que tout comme moi vous éprouvez un réel plaisir à vous promener dans la nature, à prendre le temps de contempler, de vous griser des choses simples que nous offre la nature. Un spectacle tellement enrichissant.
Vos photos sont un véritable bonheur pour les yeux.

J'ai photographié il y a une dizaine de jours ces belles plantes aux boules rouges et je vous félicite pour le merveilleux dessin que vous avez fait d'elles.
Magnifique aussi est celui de ce papillon...

Gros bisous ♡

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful photos and drawings.
Thank you for taking us along your walk.

Frances said...

Happy Autumn to you Milly.

It's grand to see how well this post conveys the change of season that you've found on your walks. I think that the pace of your walking is perfect...you are able to appreciate the fleeting beauty along the way.

As always, I also want to tell you how much I admire your drawing and painting. Your way of telling the story of the lords and ladies is magnificent. The moth...perfection.

Wishing you many more lovely country walks and opportunities to paint and draw nature's beauty. xo

Melody said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS photos.... You do live in such a beautiful place. .... and I love that you love it, and appreciate all that surrounds you.
Such a gift to be content, and just enjoy the moment, right where you are.
Your art is beautiful... and I always love to see your work table too.
Happy Autumn wishes to you! Melody :))

Michelle Palmer said...

Beautiful, Sweet Friend!
Your original watercolor of feathers are framed & hanging where we can enjoy them every day! Your work is so inspiring.
Here is a link so you can peek at them safe behind glass:
http://michellepalmerart.blogspot.com/2015/09/artist-friend-eileen-postlethwaite.html

Wishing your heart every sweet joy, Eileen!
Michelle


RH Carpenter said...

I wish we all would find beauty in our surroundings, the way you do, whether we are in a town, by the sea, or in a city - there is always something to slow down and see and you remind me of this and make me a bit envious of your surroundings :) Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos and paintings.

Deborah Nolan said...

Ah Molly I always feel more peaceful when I have had a lovely walk with you. There is a special connection that I experience when I visit because you and I share a love of nature. I was just the other day enjoying the rose hips that are growing wild in our meadow. The Queen Anne's Lace is almost gone here now and I am seeing some of those different reds as well. Take care friend and have a lovely October.

MILLY said...


Oh Milly, what a beautiful post.. I truly enjoyed... Your artwork is amazing.. The moth looks like it would fly off the paper.. Such wonderful details. How inspiring your walks are, and your project with following the berry... Thank you so much for sharing blessings Penny.

Angelsdoor * Penny
on 22/09/15

Copy as post was lost. Milly

Acornmoon said...

A visit to your blog is a breathe of fresh air, time to take a moment to notice the beauty that surrounds us. You do indeed live in a beautiful place and you share that magic through your images, always so carefully considered. It is always a joy.