Thursday 15 January 2009

Helicopters



Since I was a child we have always called these sycamore seeds helicopters. They twirl around as they fall through the sky. The ones I usually collect are from the sycamore tree but I realise they are part of the maple family. They come in many different sizes, shapes and variations. Usually they are a double helicopter, sometimes I can find three together. They generally grow in clumps on the tree and fall in pairs which split to give the single seed.
I have many detailed drawings of them in different stages of their life, as they become thinner and very delicate and a sort of skeleton like the leaves. And on my artcard where I put 30 helicopters with three red berries found together in the snowdrop orchard in January. I brought them home, placed them on my paper to look at and thought they would make a great drawing.

8 comments:

winna said...

These are really beautifully done..... we called them earings in Maine--we'd pull the roundy end open it would stick to the ear--made us feel elegant

seesue said...

Your detailed drawings are a delightful reminder to look at the small bits on our lives.

harry bell said...

Very nice drawing. I called them helicopters, too, but what do you suppose people called them before helicopters were invented? (Just wondering - I don't know the answer!)

Michelle Palmer said...

Your arrangement is DEAR!
Have always called them helicopters, too! Loved to pick them up by the hand-full from the base of the drain pipe & throw them up, watching them spin to the ground~ my favorite pup would chase after them, hop around...bark! As if to say, "More!" :)
I've painted several from our maple trees here...they were much more fun before I had to pull 1,000's of them from the gardens each spring. :)
Thanks for sharing...so pretty~
Michelle

Margaret Ann said...

Always a delight to visit you... these are drawn so well...they appear like little sprites! :)

Carol Creech said...

Oh, helicopters!! Totally takes me back to being a kid. :) And your delicate, detailed renderings are beautiful, as always.

Acornmoon said...

I really like your arrangements, I can't think of the last time I saw these. It takes me back to my school days, we used to play with them at break time.

ellie said...

I still love "helicopters", and love your studies of them ! Beautiful !