Friday 9 January 2009

Skeleton leaves


It is really cold and frosty here. There is nothing left in the hedgerows and verges except a few pale bleached seedheads and lots of empty snail shells. It is the time of year when all the leaves are thin like tissue paper and slowly breaking down into small fragments.
There amongst the heaps of dead leaves I can find the beautiful skeleton leaves. They are stripped back to their tiny veins, the very thin delicate lace patterns of their structure now revealed. I collect them, carefully untangle them and press them to keep them like antique treasures, each one so precious.
As I draw the patterns I admire the beauty and think myself so lucky to have found this natural work of art. It is drawn in pencil, with a very sharp point, on A4 size paper. Press to see it larger.

11 comments:

ellie said...

I've been catching up on blog reading and your blog has, as it always does, taken my breath away with your beautiful drawings !Happy New Year ! Ellie

Acornmoon said...

You have captured each, fragile vein with such delicacy, it is even more amazing in close up.

Pippa * Jeanne said...

Exquisite artwork and poetic words! Thank you for sharing, it will make me look at winter with new eyes when it is our turn in the Southern Hemisphere!

(: Pippa

Pippa's Porch

Leigh said...

Beautiful work...

Rhonda L. Cooper said...

I love your nature drawings. They have such detail.

Graham McArthur said...

Very nice drawings and a wonderful blog.

Margaret Ann said...

Such beautifully drawn lines...masterful indeed! :)

Ann said...

Amazing. Awesome drawing! Loved the post too. Thanks for sharing:)

Michelle Palmer said...

Breathtaking detail...beautiful piece!
Amazing what beauty can be found...
Thank you for sharing...
Hope you have a wonderful week!
Michelle

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

This is just gorgeous! I rarely find skeleton leaves here but may have to go look for some!

Mel said...

I know that this post was blogged a few years ago, but I was searching the internet for drawings of sycamore seeds as I am getting a tattoo of one, and I came across your drawing. I just wanted to say that this drawing is beautiful, exactly how i imagine I will get it tattooed. Thank you so much, now i just need to find someone to draw one exactly the same for me to get it done! x

Please have a look at my blog, and don't hesitate to contact me back!

www.melingram.blogspot.co.uk